Monday, March 5, 2012

Birthday Wishes

As my birthday appoarches I am reminded of how when you are young you blow out the candles on your cake and make a wish.  Looking back its fun to recall how those wishes change.  Some birthdays bring mixed emotions, like the first one after my grandpa died.  I cried and looked like a spoil brat.  I made by mom take me to Hills (does anyone else remember that place) and buy me a stuffed turtle.  This was the first celebration that I hadn't gotten exactly what I ask for.  My grandpa would go and pick out the exact present I wanted down to the eye color.  In my defense on that day all I got was underwear and money.  Kinda boring for a 9 year old.  Truth was I missed my grandpa and the man who would search the world just to bring a smile to my face. Then there was the time I made everyone go home early from my party.  Not sure why I did that.  Can you imagine what my mom thought when someone told her that I was going to all the quest and telling them "it's 2 oclock time to go home"  (and I wounder where Matthew gets his obsession with time) they had just gotten there.  Sorry mom.  Not really sure how to justify that one.

Of course who doesn't remember turning 16 and getting there driving license.  What a day.  Of course dad let me stay out of school and took me to the exam.  I passed and dad let me drive my little red mustang to school. Of course he followed me to the school then as I turned into Ridgelands parking lot dad let go and kept driving.  He had spent years preparing me and it was time to let me go.  What a wonderful day, so glad to have that memory. 

As we grow our wishes change, they go from baby dolls to cars and so much more.  I  like to think about what I would wish for this Birthday.  I've thought alot about this lately.  Funny , not one thing can be bought.  I just want to be a better wife and mother.  I want to know how to help Matthew life in a world that he doesn't always fit into.  To be able to teach Cheredith how to be a wonderful young woman,  and I want to be everything Patrick needs. 

I lived a wonderful long life.  Trust me I'm not planning on going anywhere anytime soon.  I have been blessed with amazing friends and family.  Priceless moments and countless memories.  I come a long way from the child who cried for a stuffed turtle to a woman who cries out to God for strength, knowledge and forgiveness.  Birthday wishes change just like we do.  I am blessed from God.  I know that I can face anything with God,

2 comments: