Sunday, September 30, 2012

COUNTDOWN TO ATLANATA

We have hit the one week countdown to our long awaited surgery.  We have seen Matthew go through so much theses last three years we are so glad that this part of the journey is coming to an end.  After the surgery then we can focus on what caused the problem in the first place and help to find out what causes his stomach pain.  He is a strong kid.  He has always impressed me.

At this point all we know is that Matthew will have his sigmoid colon removed next Monday at Emory.  We had seen a surgeon in Chattanooga a few years back and the had never  preformed this surgery on a child so we knew it wasn't common, but I never expected what the surgeon said to us about it's rarity.  He said that at his office, which sees patients from all over the southeast, that he will preform 1 every 3 years.  This fact was confirmed when I spoke with the scheduling office last week.  I was informed that no one in the office is familiar with the process and that they will have to speak to the surgeon about how to prep Matthew for the surgery.  There is a chance that we will be checking into Emory on Sunday and the surgery will be on Monday.  I could care less about if the office staff knows about the procedures, I just want the surgeon to, and he does so that's enough for me. 

Now comes the difficult part.  I was terrified to see them take Cheredith away to put tubes in her ears, I can't imagine how its going to be watching them roll away Matthew to do an uncommon pediatric surgery.  Then comes recovery.  Matthew has a very difficult time waking from anesthesia, so I hope that he wakes up easy this time.  Also Matthew has never spent the night in the hospital and we will be there for around 4 days.  We manage Matthew's autism by preparing for change and by keeping a routine, two things that will be difficult in the next few weeks.  He is a fighter and I know he will do great.

Now to brag on my family.  First of all Cheredith..  She has taken a back seat to so many of these things but never complains.  Her main concern has always been for Matthew. She always ask for prayer for him and always takes good care of him.  This week at school she had a bad asthma attack and she really scared me.  I am so thankful that Patrick will be coming home to stay with her once Matthew gets settled in the hospital after his surgery.  We both want to be in both places at the same time but can't and I am so thankful he will be staying with her during this difficult time.  He is an amazing husband and dad. Cheredith will be staying with some good friends of ours will we are both down with Matthew.  I am so thankful for them. 

I am usually a planner and like everything laid out in front of me, however this will not be the case in the next few weeks.  Any one who knows out situation knows all we are going through not related to Matthew's surgery.  We are a strong family with a strong faith and we know that God will see us through this all.  Keeps us all in your thoughts and prayers and keep Matthew's surgeon in your prayers as well.  I am so ready to get these next few weeks behind us, for Matthew to have one less thing to fight through.

No comments:

Post a Comment